Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kyoto–Day 5

So an early start today to get the transfer bus to the airport from my hotel. No sooner had I checked out than I was on the bus and off to the airport.

Checking in took only a few short moments and I passed through immigration, changed some money and sat down at my gate to await my flight.

My trip with Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to Osaka took about 3 hours but was a little hard to take now I was back in ‘cattle class’. Like I’ve said before, once you have travelled business class it is hard to go back.

I arrived in Osaka in the late afternoon and moved through customs and immigration quickly as ours seemed to be the only inbound flight at the time. Interesting, they have big signs up here about protecting against terrorism and now take your fingerprints.

Another interesting point was the customs guy asked me a few questions about what I was doing in Japan, when I planned to leave etc. Nothing major expect I was expecting that from the immigration guy.

I was now out of the terminal and looking for my transfer bus. Turns out that these leave from just outside the terminal. Basically just keep walking to the kerb outside the terminal. I located the sign telling me which bay to wait at and off I went.

IMG_1941

I showed the attendant my ticket and confirmed that I wanted to go to Kyoto station. He nodded in confirmation so all I needed to do now was wait for the bus.

IMG_1942

Just behind me (shown above) is the information desk where you can also purchase transfer fares. All very straight forward and nearly everything is also in English, which makes it even easier.

In a manner of moments I was on the bus on my way to Kyoto station.

IMG_1943IMG_1944

I was basically freeway all the way but it took about 90 minutes to arrive at Kyoto station, where I hit the streets trying to get my bearings.

I would be staying at the New Miyako Hotel which is right near Kyoto station. Only problem was I wasn’t quite sure which side of the station I was on, but I took a punt and ended up guessing correctly that I was on the correct side.

Moments later I had checked in and was enjoying the comforts of my room.

IMG_1945IMG_1946

View from my window. There is even a balcony!

IMG_1947

IMG_1948

Upsides? Free Internet! Downsides? No hotel safe (but that isn’t a huge issue).

Being rather exhausted after todays travels I headed down to one of the hotel restaurants for dinner and to practice my atrocious Japanese . After a great 3 course dinner for about AUD$35 I headed back to my room to plan for tomorrow’s adventure.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Glad you made it to Japan in one piece! Looks like an adventure to get through customs. Is it very expensive? $35 for dinner at the hotel is pretty reasonable!