Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kyoto–Day 7 (Part 2)

IMG_2113IMG_2114IMG_2116IMG_2117

The temple was built in the 15th century and contains a number of other features besides the Zen garden.

IMG_2118IMG_2119IMG_2120

IMG_2121IMG_2122IMG_2123IMG_2124IMG_2125IMG_2126IMG_2127IMG_2128IMG_2129IMG_2130IMG_2131IMG_2132

It is basically a complete circuit and I was amazed at how well the grounds are tended, they were even sweeping up the leaves from the ground (not the path) when I passed.

A little further to the north is the Rokuon-ji temple, also known as the Golden Pavilion. Once again onto the pavement I went for the 15-20 minute journey.

IMG_2133IMG_2134

As you walk in they have a bell you can 200 Yen to ring. Luckily I could stay aways and listen to its mystic sound.

IMG_2135IMG_2136

IMG_2137IMG_2138IMG_2139IMG_2140IMG_2141IMG_2142IMG_2143IMG_2144

When they say golden, they do mean golden don’t they?

IMG_2145IMG_2146

This is a shot of a few bowls placed in the garden. All the silver stuff around them are coin people have tried to through in (and missed). I did have a go and landed a coin in one of the bigger bowls but it didn’t seem to help me later on in the day. Maybe this wasn’t teh location for help from the gods of direction?

IMG_2147IMG_2148IMG_2149IMG_2150IMG_2151

From here my plan was to go further around to the north to the Daitoku-ji Temple but that all went pear shaped.

I continue to head north but stuck close to the road next to the mountain rather than taking a main thoroughfare closer to the centre.

I soon found myself wander through suburban streets again with not so much as an English sign. Not good. When I got to a road that disappeared up into the forest I decided it was time to back track.

I found someone at a local recreational club who spoke English and pointed up in the direction of another hill. Up I went and along the street at the top until I reached another intersection that didn’t like it was going towards a populated area.

Ok time to pull try my previous life line, my mobile and Google Maps. Seemed like I must have used up all my credit because it had no idea where I was. Hmmm…ok, this ain’t good, I found someone who looked like a policeman (maybe just a crossing guard) and between my bad Japanese and his non existent English he pointed me back in thee direction I came from.

IMG_2152

Ok so if I’m going back the way I came I might as well completely back track to the Golden Pavilion, which is what I did.

After a very long walk I was at least back at a reference point now. As I tried to get Google maps going again on my mobile, I walked up and down a main street trying to decide the best way to go. After finally getting Google to tell me a direction I struck out for the subway.

As I trudged back along the main drag I checked my map again. Hang on, the Daitoku-ji temple should be just around here….

I found a temple off the main street that turned out to be next door to the Daitoku-ji temple, which was annoying because I’ll have to come back to see the main temple tomorrow but I’m glad I ran across this little temple as you can see from the shots below.

IMG_2153

IMG_2154

IMG_2155IMG_2156

IMG_2157IMG_2158IMG_2159IMG_2160IMG_2161IMG_2162IMG_2163IMG_2164

Even better nobody else was here! So I had the whole place to myself. After all the mucking about, going backwards and forwards, getting lost and finally ‘almost’ finding what I was looking for, this was worth it as I sat on the veranda and admired each garden in serenity.

Given it was late in the day and the temple was closing i had to leave but I’ll be back to visit the main temple now I know where it is.

I headed back to the main road and following it to Kita-Oji subway station at the very north of Kyoto. I grabbed a seat to rest my tired legs for the few short stops back to Kyoto station.

So even getting lost in a place that doesn’t show any signs of English is what makes travel experiences worthwhile. don’t get me wrong, there is always a voice in the back of your head worrying about how you’ll get back to your head but as long as you keep your wits about you (and use your lifelines – Google Maps and asking people) then things usually work out. You also get a great story to boot!

No comments: