Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 13–Verona

DSC00964

Today started off with a visit to the Arena in the centre of the city. It dates back to Roman times but is now largely used for Opera performances.

DSC00967

In fact it was still in that arrangement during my visit.

DSC00972

It is amazing to consider the history that this one structure has seen, and will continue to see.

DSC00979

You can basically walk around the inside and emerge into the amphitheatre itself. It is a very impressive structure. There isn’t a hell of lot to actually see or read about but I was certainly glad that I had a look.

DSC00983

Just outside the area there was a gathering of Italian cars of all shapes and sizes. From Maserati’s, to Fiat’s and even a Ferrari!

DSC00985

Apart from the Arena and a piazza, this area has a nice garden with a fountain in the middle.

DSC00989

I continue north west towards Piazza Erbe.

DSC00994

It’s nice little area full of restaurants surrounded by some wonderful architecture.

DSC00993

Not far away is Torre dei Lamberti.

DSC00996

The tower wasn’t currently open and I wasn’t that fussed at going up to the top but would certainly swing by if I found myself with time on my hands.

DSC01000

I then found myself in Piazza dei Signore which has a statue of Dante in the centre.

DSC01006

I continued north towards the river.

DSC01014

My next stop was St Anastasia.

DSC01016

Which, as you can see, is pretty impressive as churches go if I do say so myself. Now because it was Sunday and mass was being conducted tourists were supposed to remain at the back of the church in silence.

DSC01019

I headed further north towards Ponte Pieta to cross the river.

DSC01028

Upon reaching the river I took a break out of the intensifying Italian sun and looked towards my next destination Castel San Piedro, which as you can see would mean a rather steep hike to get up the hill.

DSC01029

Also nearby is the Teatro Romano but I thought that I’d give that a miss.

DSC01031

I crossed the bridge and started my climb up to Castel San Pietro.

DSC01036

The hike was certainly worth it,with commanding view of Siena and the surrounding countryside in most directions.

DSC01042

After all the effort to get up here I decided to dwell a bit to again cool down and enjoy the vistas.

DSC01051

Back down the hill, I remained on the northern bank of the river with the aim of crossing back into the city across Pont Garibaldi and then onto the Duomo, which I could see from across the river.

DSC01055

I stopped into San Giorgio on the way.

DSC01060

Across the river and through the back streets I came to the Duomo.

DSC01062

The difference I noted here was the outside composition of this church is white, while most of the other are brown. I wonder whether that has to do with the fact that this is the main church or Duomo for the city?

DSC01064

Again, a pretty spectacular church.

DSC01076

The most interesting aspect are the decoration on the wall. Very different from what I have seen elsewhere.

DSC01082

I continued down the western bank of the river, heading south  and past Ponte Vittoria.

DSC01091

I then ended up in Castel Vecchio, which is a castle like structure that also encompasses a museum.

DSC01098

I continued south but there are not many ‘sites’ in this part of the city. As I approached the railway station I stopped to have some lunch and then headed back east to my room for my usual afternoon break from the Italian sun. Along the way I captured this picture looking along the long Corso PortaNuova which leads to the Arena.

DSC01105

I thought that this would be the end of my site seeing in Verona but after doing some research I saw that the Giardino Giusta (gardens) were well worth visiting.

DSC01103

It took me about 30 minutes to walk there but it was well worth the trip as you can see.

DSC01117

Very beautiful and peaceful. A real refuge from the city.

DSC01131

These gardens have been here for a very long time as well and I recommend you make the trip to check them out. They are a little ways from the centre of the city, to the east. You won’t be sorry you came.

With that I headed back to hotel for my final night here in Verona. Tomorrow it’s another trip on the high speed train, this time to Milan.

No comments: