Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 14–Milan

Today’s trip from Verona to Milan would take place around midday so there was no need to rush.

I checked out and carried my bags to the station, stopping along the way to grab some breakfast, which also helped kill some time.

DSC01134

Having arrived early at the station, I read while waiting patiently for my train to arrive. With about 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival of my transfer, I headed to the designated platform.

As always, about 2 minutes before the train arrived, it appeared on the display boards actually on the platform. I knew I was on the right platform but now I had to hustle to the appropriate end of the platform to jump on my designated carriage. In this case carriage number one right at one end.

DSC01135

After an uneventful ride to Milan I disembarked in what has to win the award for the most impressive station so far in my travels, Milan.

DSC01136

I had a short walk through the maze of streets to my hotel nearby which I found with the help of Google maps on my device, given the density of locations here.

DSC01138

A small but functional room awaited me in which I proceeded to turn up the air conditioning and have a nap.

Unfortunately, one of things you learn about the sites here in Italy is that most a closed one day of the week. Here in Milan that day is Monday, which was today. I had planned to visit the Last Supper fresco painted by Leonardo da Vinci but alas, like the last time I was here it wasn’t open.

I ventured back out at about 7pm and decided to head to the Duomo.

DSC01143

Milan is a bit like Rome in the fact that there is traffic everywhere, bikes, scooters, cars buses, pedestrians all vying for road supremacy. You need to pay extra attention when you cross roads because event through you may have a green walk sign that doesn’t automatically guarantee your safety.

DSC01147After a 30 minute walk I was approaching the Duomo and passed a statue of Leonardo da Vinci.

DSC01149

Not far away is the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuel II, which is a lovely covered up market shopping piazza.

DSC01152

This church has to be one of my favourites.

You can not only go inside but you can also go onto the roof.

What really stood out for me in the church compared to all the others I have seen are the stained glass windows. They are simply amazing and so much more graphic and vivid than anything I’ve seen elsewhere.

DSC01170

With the requisite tourist stuff accomplished I returned to my hotel, this time through a lovely park, quite picturesque at this time of night.

You can find other pictures I have taken of Milan during a previous trip here.

Unfortunately, my choice for dinner was marred by extremely slow service. Honestly, it was like I was in another city. It took over 2 hours just to order 2 drinks and something eat. It wasn’t as though they were busy or anything.

It is rare that I’ll leave internet review but with plenty of time on my hands and my phone in my hand I felt compelled to write something there and then about the poor service. That the reality of today’s connected world. Instant feedback shared with a world wide audience.

Review complete, it was back to the hotel and to get ready for my farewell to Italy tomorrow and the first leg of my return trip via Dubai.

No comments: