Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Day 15–Dubai

Not many pictures from today’s travels as it was basically a flight from Milan to Dubai.

The car service picked me up at around 8am and we headed off to Milan airport, which took about an hour. Always “fun” mixing it with Italian peak hour traffic in the city. I was glad that I was heading away from the city once we hit the freeways as the traffic going back into the city was pretty much bumper to bumper.

There was no one in the queue at check in and I was soon at my gate. There was a Dubai flight leaving about an hour prior to mine so the good news was that my flight was not very crowded and I got to sit near the front of economy.

The only hassle was disembarking. We had arrived early and our flight had not pulled up to the terminal so we had to walk down the stairs and take a shuttle bus to the terminal. However, there was some organisational issues with the busses so we were held at the door of the plane, waiting for busses to arrive on the ground.

It was about 7.30pm and the tempreture outside was still around 35 degrees C! Smokin’.

When we finally boarded the shuttle bus we must have circled the airport twice before we unloaded. Dubai airport sure must be huge, since I swear we were on the bus for at least 20 minutes transferring to a terminal. That’s a long transfer in anyone’s language.

Next was passport control, which took another 30 minutes or so to clear meaning that my bag was the virtually the last one on the carousel when I arrive. Thankfully, it was still there, lonely, but still there.

I grabbed my bags and headed to the transfer desk for my car service to my hotel, the Taj Dubai.

Without doubt, Dubai airport takes the cakes for the best airport I have been in on my travel. Large, spacious, well signed, helpful people everywhere.

DSC01177

DSC01179

But, man oh man does the hotel room here in Dubai take the cake as you can see above. What a grand way to end my holiday. This ‘room’ has an anteroom, separate shower that is bigger than some hotel rooms I’ve stayed at in Europe, toilet, two basins, a bath, desk, lounge, and on an on. It even has a Nespresso machine so I can make my own ‘real’ (non-instant) coffee.

So I have tomorrow in Dubai and then it’s back home the following morning. It’ll be stinking hot tomorrow for sure but I’ll make the most of it and I have a special ‘Desert Experience’ tomorrow evening for dinner.

Like I said, a great way to end a great trip.

No comments: